Stevedores are responsible for loading and unloading a ship’s cargo and must follow the ship’s plan to ensure that cargo is loaded and unloaded correctly. He or she may use a crane or forklift to move large cargo containers to and from trucks and other ships. A stevedore may also be required to perform basic clerical duties and to moor and unmoor vessels upon arrival and departure. A stevedore spends most of his or her workday outside, performing physical labor in all weather. Stevedores are only employed in areas that have working docks, so candidates for this occupation are limited by geography.
- Load and unload cargo using suitable material-handling equipment
- Inspect the unloaded cargo for any damages or irregularities
- Tally the unloaded cargo and input information onto spreadsheets
- Communicate with other STEVEDORE Workers to ensure safe loading and unloading
- Ensure that the areas are clean and free of debris
- Excellent physical stamina
- The ability to operate heavy machinery
- A high school diploma or equivalent is preferred
- A stevedore works in a potentially dangerous environment and must consider safety above all else.
- Good organizational and communication skills are important, along with the ability to read and follow written plans.
- The work schedule of a stevedore can be irregular and the hours are sometimes long, so a willingness to be flexible in this regard is required.
- AGE LIMIT 25-46 YEARS
FOOD AND ACCOMMODATION PROVIDED